If you’re a startup, you know it’s important to get users quickly. You’re probably here because you want your incoming traffic to get to your Launchrock as soon as possible. I’ve been grinding for 3 hours now so you can simply follow suit! Let’s begin.
I’m assuming you have your Launchrock setup and already being hosted somewhere, and you’ll be logged into your Facebook the entire setup (and you should be the admin of the fan page).
I’ve been working at a local startup in Gainesville called Feathr. Feathr is a mobile app that streamlines contact information exchange via digital business cards. We’ve been working on web presence and I wanted to put our Launchrock on our Facebook page, which was a lot more difficult than I thought it was going to be, but ended up being really simple.
1. Go to https://www.facebook.com/developers and click on +Create New App in the top right.
2. Fill out the name and namespace for your app. Your users will not see these, so organize it for yourself.
3. Figure out a ridiculous captcha.
4. OK, we’re in. Go ahead and update your favicon (16x16, some great tiny icons here) with something, it’ll be what the user sees next to your custom tab landing page. Don’t worry about app domain or anything.
5. Navigate down to the bottom and click on Page Tab. Name your custom page (this is the name your traffic will see). Point the page tab URL to your Launchrock page. Point the secure page tab URL to the same Launchrock page, but put https:// instead of http://. If you don’t have SSL encryption enabled for your server then users on Facebook with secure browsing on won’t be able to see your Launchrock via Facebook.
Here’s the important part. You need to put a forward slash after the URL you’re pointing to.
Will NOT work in Facebook: http://www.feathrapp.com
6. Save the changes and open a new tab.
7. I haven’t found an easier way to link to your Facebook app to your Fan Page. The following solution comes directly from Facebook guides.
Open a new tab. Paste this URL in there:
Your App ID is at the top and your URL is at the bottom. Plug these in and choose the Fan page you want to add the tab too. Save the changes and you now have Launchrock right in your Facebook!
8. Optional. I’d suggest making this new tab your default landing tab for people who don’t like your page yet. This way you get to the call-to-action ASAP and eliminate one more qualifying step. You can do this by clicking on Edit Page in the top right.
And then switching the default tab to your new custom tab.
That’s all! Now you got a snazzy Launchrock landing page for your Facebook and your social traffic is more valuable!
I don’t mind being paid in followers :) Follow me on here or Twitter!